Each residence in Spruce Grove is provided with a green organics cart that can be used to collect food and yard waste. Green organics carts are collected on your regular waste collection day on a weekly basis from mid-April to mid-November and monthly, during the second week of the month, from December to March.
Changes to extra organics collection
Effective April 1, 2023, changes are coming to how residents will be able to dispose of extra organics waste.
Weekly organics collection will end the week of November 14-18, 2022
Winter organics collection will take place:
- Dec. 12-16, 2022
- Jan. 9-13, 2023
- Feb. 13-17, 2023
- March 13-17, 2023
Weekly organics collection will resume the week of April 10, 2023.
Sort with Success
Not sure if an item can go in your green organics cart? Search for it here and learn if it can go in your green organics cart or if it has to go in your black waste cart or blue recycle bag instead.
Extra organic waste
Each household is limited to the amount of organics their green organics cart can hold (maximum 200 lbs) with the lid completely closed. Extra organics can be taken to the Eco Centre at no charge, up to three cubic metres.
Residents are also encouraged to practice grass cycling – leaving grass clippings on the lawn instead of bagging. This significantly reduces yard waste and retains moisture, reducing the need for watering.
The City also encourages resident to reduce their food waste. This means trying to avoid the over purchasing of food that is thrown out once it expires. Visit Love Food Hate Waste Canada for some helpful tips on making the most out of the food we love!
Get the most out of your green organics cart
- Line your cart with newspaper for a quick and inexpensive solution to items sticking or freezing to the sides of your cart.
- Trap wet waste in paper towel, newspaper, paper bags or cereal boxes to avoid a mess.
- Minimize odours by freezing meat, fish and other odorous items until collection day.
- Clean out your fridge close to your organics collection day.
- Use bags to collect organic waste, but make sure they are certified compostable. Biodegradable and plastic bags cannot be placed in your green organics cart.
- Layer wet and dry waste to help absorb excess moisture and prevent items freezing to the cart in winter.
- Control flies and bugs by spreading dish soap around the lip of your cart.
- Let the waste in your cart rest because pressing it down tightly may prevent items from emptying during collection.
- Store your cart in a dry place as rain and snow allow water to collect inside the cart which can cause damage or hinder emptying.
- Pull your cart to the curb (instead of pushing it) to prevent snow or debris from gathering in front of the cart and making it difficult to collect.
- Make your cart accessible so staff can easily get to it on collection day. Make sure there is an arm’s length of clearance on all sides of the cart.
- Hose down your cart (inside and out) with soap, baking soda or ammonia.
To report a broken or damaged cart, or missed collection, please call 780-962-7584.