Winter Activities in Spruce Grove
Winter can be a challenging time to stick to your physical activity routine. So how can you remain active when the weather is not cooperating? Embrace winter and try any of these free or frugal indoor and outdoor activities.
Drop-in recreation activities
Drop-in recreation programs, including Public Skating, are a great way to get active, stay in shape, and meet new friends during the long months of winter (October – March). For more information call Recreation Services at 780-962-7579, send email or check the Examiner’s City News page for weekly, up-to-date scheduling.
TransAlta Tri Leisure Centre
Located on 221 Jennifer Heil Way in Spruce Grove, the TransAlta Tri Leisure Centre (TLC) is a place where people of all ages can come and participate in sporting and recreational activities.
Cross country skiing
The Links golf course offers cross country ski trails during the winter. This is a free program offered to the community. Contact the Links Golf Club for further information.
Please follow the below guidelines when enjoying the trails:
- Bring your own equipment
- Stay on set trails, as trails are not on greens and tees
- Parking available in parking lot
- No pets allowed
Spruce Grove’s outdoor ice surfaces are free for the community to use and are not scheduled. Use at your own risk and please respect others while using the facilities. All outdoor ice is weather dependent and is available seasonally.
Parks and trails
Downhill fun! Bring your family and friends for a day of free fun on a local hill. These hills are inspected and maintained by City of Spruce Grove staff and are recommended for sledding.
- Fuhr Sports Park (next to Rotary Playscape)
- Hilldowns Park, East of Fairway Drive
- Jubilee Park, 510 Grove Drive
- Spruce Village Park, #10 Victoria Avenue
When tobogganing or sledding:
- Teach children to kneel or sit on their toboggan
- Make sure the route is clear before going down a hill. Remember the people below you have the right-of-way
- Once you reach the bottom, quickly move out of the way
- Remember to slide down the middle of the hill and climb up the side while watching for sledders on their way down
- Always stay in control of your sled
Other outdoor activity ideas
Winter picnic in the park
Bundle up and take your thermos filled with cocoa to your neighbourhood park. Playing in the park can be a whole new experience in a snow covered playground.
Experience the Heritage Grove Trails in the winter with a snow shoe walk.