As per the Delegation Request Policy organizations or groups comprised of more than one individual may request an appointment to be heard by Council.
Public delegates must submit a request in writing to the City Manager to schedule an appointment with Council.
The request must include the following:
- Name and mandate/purpose of the organization;
- Contact information of the presenter(s);
- The subject matter and a brief summary of the presentation; and
- Any other relevant background information.
The City Manager will review the request in consultation with the Corporate Leadership Team and the City Clerk.
It is at the discretion of the City Manager to approve and determine which Council or Governance and Priorities Committee meeting the appointment will scheduled for, to refuse a request, or refer the request to Administration.
Depending on the nature of the item you would like to bring forward, City Administration may be able to handle your request and it may not need to proceed to Council.
If your request is granted, a representative from the City Clerk’s Office will contact you to set up your appointment at a future council or governance and priorities committee meeting and provide you with more information at that time.
Your written request can be emailed, or dropped off or mailed to:
City of Spruce Grove
Attention: City Clerk's Office
315 Jespersen Avenue
Spruce Grove, AB T7X 3E8
The following types of requests will be refused:
- Promotion of private business(es), group(s), or individual(s);
- Any request related to one or more of the following:
- matters before or previously heard by the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board;
- matters before or previously heard by the Assessment Review Board;
- matters requiring the holding of a statutory public hearing or for which a public hearing has already been held;
- any matter pertaining to an enforcement complaint, investigation or action, or which is subject of a legal challenge through the Court system;
- any topic deemed not public at the time the request is submitted, or which contravenes the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.A. 2000 c F-25, as amended;
- any subject matter that does not fall within the jurisdiction of municipal government;
- any subject matter that is not related to Governance and within the jurisdiction of Council as determined by the Municipal Government Act, R.S.A. 2000 c M-26, as amended; and
- any subject matter that falls within the operational purview of the City Manager.
Any documentation that will be presented to Council (e.g. PowerPoint presentation) must be submitted no less than two weeks (14 days) before the meeting the appointment has been scheduled for. Failure to meet this deadline may result in the appointment being rescheduled to a later meeting.
As per the Delegation Request Policy:
- Delegations that meet the criteria outlined in s. 2.4 - “Council Delegation” will not have a limit to present.
- Delegations that meet the criteria outlined in s. 2.7 - “Public Delegations will be permitted to present to Council for a maximum of 10 minutes.
Public Delegation presenting on behalf of multiple persons or has more than one spokesperson will be considered one person and may only present for a maximum of 10 minutes.
Delegations can only present on the subject matter that was provided as part of their delegation request submission.
Delegation presentations must not include attacks of Councillors, members of Administration, or members of the public.