Public Input Session
The Public Input Session is an opportunity for members of the public to either ask Council a question or to make a statement to Council. The public may attend in person or virtually.
Persons interested in making a statement or asking a question may attend Council Chambers prior to or during the Public Input Session and indicate they wish to speak when prompted by the Mayor.
Members of the public must speak from the podium.
Persons interested in making a statement or asking a question must contact the City Clerk’s Office prior to 12 p.m. (noon) the day of the Council meeting to register to speak virtually.
Those who register will be provided the information to access the Public Input Session by virtual means. A test meeting will be required prior to the Council meeting to test the participant's technology to ensure the technology can be heard in Council Chambers.
Persons may also send an email to the City Clerk’s Office before the Public Input Session is over and the City Clerk will read the question or statement on the senders’ behalf. Only one email per person is permitted.
- When you attend Council Chambers, sign in on the Public Input Session Sign In Sheet located at entrance of Council Chambers.
- Presenters have a maximum of 5 minutes to speak and are only permitted to speak once.
- State and spell your name for the record before asking your question or making your statement.
- Presenters are not permitted to present to Council electronically (e.g. PowerPoint presentation) but may provide copies of photos, graphics, or other documentation to the City Clerk by noon the day of the Council meeting. Provided the photos, graphics, or other documentation do not contravene sections 13.6, 13.8 and 18.1(a) of the Council Procedure Bylaw, the City Clerk will distribute the photos, graphics, or other documentation to Council and Administration.
- Statements or questions must be about matters that pertain to the responsibilities of the City and must be directed to Council as whole and not individual Councillors or members of Administration.
- Statements or questions must not include attacks of Councillors, members of Administration, or members of the public.
Speakers will not be permitted to make statements or ask questions on the following items:
- Promotion of private business(es), group(s), or individual(s);
- Any request related to one or more of the following:
- matters before or previously heard by the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board;
- matters before or previously heard by the Assessment Review Board;
- matters requiring the holding of a statutory public hearing or for which a public hearing has already been held;
- any matter pertaining to an enforcement complaint, investigation or action, or which is subject of a legal challenge through the Court system;
- any topic deemed not public at the time the request is submitted, or which contravenes the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.A. 2000 c F-25, as amended;
- any subject matter that does not fall within the jurisdiction of municipal government;
- any subject matter that is not related to Governance and within the jurisdiction of Council as determined by the Municipal Government Act, R.S.A. 2000 c M-26, as amended; and
- any subject matter that falls within the operational purview of the City Manager.
For further information on presenting to Council during the Public Input Session, please see section 13 of the Council Procedure Bylaw.
If you have any questions, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at 780-962-7615 or firstname.lastname@example.org.