Business Licensing

All businesses and individuals providing goods and/or services in the City of Spruce Grove must have a current business licence. This includes contractors, sub-contractors and non-profit organizations.

A business with more than one location in Spruce Grove needs a separate licence for each business location. If you change the use of your business space or move to a new location, you will need to apply for a development permit before a business licence can be issued. We suggest you do not sign a lease or begin interior alterations until you have a valid development permit.

Each year between mid-November and mid-January, business owners operating in Spruce Grove must either renew their licence or apply for a new one.

Provincial/federal permits and licences

You may also require provincial or federal permits and licences. It is your responsibility to apply for these before applying for a business licence in Spruce Grove. Use BizPal, an online resource, to identify which additional permits and licences you may need from the provincial and federal governments.

Business licence bylaw is under review

We are working with our neighbouring municipalities to incorporate clear and consistent regulations that will reduce barriers for businesses. This will allow us to be responsive and provide decisions for new and existing clients looking to our area as a great place to grow their business. 

Regarding the popular Tri-Municipal licence, if you are a City of Spruce Grove active business licence holder, you can go into the Town of Stony Plain and Parkland County to do business at no additional fee. Alternately, if you have an active business licence with the Town of Stony Plain or an approved development permit to run your business in Parkland County, you can apply for a City of Spruce Grove business licence at no fee. This will be in place until our business licence bylaw revisions are complete.

Business Licence FAQs

Yes. Every individual business that operates in Spruce Grove requires a separate business licence.

No. You must wait for your business licence to be issued. If you require any other permits, you must get them before the City can issue you a business licence.

Yes. If you conduct business within the city for a period of 72 consecutive hours or less, you must have a temporary business licence.

No. You do not need a business licence to hold a garage sale.