Options for proposed arena complex returning to Council for direction on next steps
During the Monday, July 20, Spruce Grove City Council meeting, City Administration will be presenting options on the proposed arena complex for Council’s consideration and direction on next steps.
Details on three options will be presented:
- Twin pad
- Hockey facility with spectator seating and second community ice pad
- Entertainment facility with a hockey/sport tenants and second community ice pad
There is also the opportunity to pursue investigation of additional recreation considerations identified in the Indoor Facility Strategy as part of an overall facility or a combination of multiple facilities.
- In 2014 the City started a process to look at the feasibility of constructing a Multi-Use Sport and Event Centre on the northeast corner of the city along the Yellowhead Highway at Century Road (known as the Westwind lands).
- The concept was to take the twin arena project in the City’s long-term capital plan and consider whether it made sense to add event hosting capacity to one of the arenas.
- In November 2017 the City submitted an application to the Coal Community Transition Fund and received $255,000 to support the next stage of project definition and feasibility assessment on the concept.
- In May 2018 Council approved a terms of reference for a study that included a review of three options for the facility that vary in scope and functional design and have different price points. All three options are variations on a twin pad arena with different functional elements included.
- In November 2019, during the 2020-2022 Recommended Corporate Plan deliberations this project was identified as requiring further discussion.