Single-Use Items Reduction Strategy
The City of Spruce Grove is taking action to help reduce the amount of plastic contaminating our environment.
After extensive public engagement, stakeholder consultation, and research the City has developed a Single-use Items Reduction Strategy which outlines recommended actions including:
- Development of Single-Use Items Reduction Bylaw to ban the distribution of retail plastic bags, plastic straws, and polystyrene serving ware.
- Leading by example - all City run events (external and internal) should work to be leaders in waste reduction, specifically limiting the use of single-use items.
- Exploring future reduction and management of disposable cups, utensils and take-out containers.
- Championing the introduction of an Extended Producer Responsibility program in partnership with other municipalities across Alberta.
- Exploring the possibility of offering a commercial organics collection program to help capture compostable single-use items and food waste.
- Continuing to educate and inform residents on responsible purchasing habits to reduce the amount of waste produced from the home.