Food Trucks Permits & Licenses

Food trucks can operate in the City of Spruce Grove

  • on public roads with a Licence of Occupation and
  • on private property with a food truck development permit.

You will find the application requirements and regulating documents for both processes below.

Business license

Businesses that provide goods or services to the residents of the City of Spruce Grove must have a business licence.


To operate a food truck on private property, a business licence and a development permit are required. The development permit has several other required documents.

Get a checklist

View the food truck operations map .


As per Development Fees and Fines .

A Licence of Occupation allows a food truck to operate on city roads if parking is permitted by the City's Traffic Bylaw. The City's Food Truck Policy outlines regulations and requirements.

To apply for the Licence of Occupation, please submit the following information.

  • Letter to the City's Planning and Development Department
    • addressing that you are applying for a Licence of Occupation and
    • describing the food truck.
  • Food Handling permit issued by Alberta Health Services
  • Motor vehicle insurance
  • Proof of Commercial General Liability Insurance with a minimum liability limit of $2,000,000.00 (must name City of Spruce Grove as an additional insured)
  • Fire Inspection approval with Spruce Grove Fire Services
  • Description of how waste, grease and grey water is handled and disposed of
  • Provisions for water and power, if necessary


As per Development Fees and Fines .

Food Trucks can cater events (like fundraisers, camps and tournaments) without a development permit or License of Occupation.

To do so, the event coordinator must submit a Community Initiated Event Intake Form  to City Hall. It must include a list of all the vendors (including food trucks) for the event. It is the event coordinator's responsibility to ensure food trucks have all the necessary documentation to operate in the City.

Submit permit applications

Apply online for permit applications using the CityView Portal.

Need help? Help is available online 24/7.