In the interest of public safety, all electrical installations must be covered by an electrical permit and are subject to appropriate inspection.
An electrical permit is needed when you are installing or changing your electrical wiring. Either a home owner or a contractor may apply for a residential electrical permit
If you have had no previous knowledge or experience with electrical wiring you should engage an electrical contractor who is eligible to receive permits. Experience has shown that persons not familiar with electrical installations and the applicable requirements, often complete work which requires many extensive corrections upon inspection. As a result, such wiring creates very serious hazards. In addition, it must be emphasized that the person signing the permit application assumes the responsibility for ensuring that the wiring concerned is completed in a safe manner in accordance with applicable safety regulations.
- A homeowner applying must own the premises to be wired (including the land) and reside therein.
- Do not apply for an owner permit if the installation requires other than standard wiring materials or is over 100 amperes in capacity three phase over 150 volts to ground.
Commercial electrical permits must be applied for by a master electrician. All contractors applying for electrical permits must have a valid business licence for the City of Spruce Grove.
There is a three business day turnaround from when you apply until receiving your permit.
How to apply for an electrical permit
To apply for an electrical permits, we require the following:
- Completed electrical permit application form
- Fee as per Development Fees and Fines
Double fees will apply to work being done prior to an approved permits being issued.
- Alberta Safety Codes Council fees as per Safety Codes Council Permit Fee Schedule
Submit permit applications
|In person||By mail||By email or fax|
|Planning and Development Department
City of Spruce Grove
414 King Street
Spruce Grove, Alberta
City of Spruce Grove
Call 780-962-7582 or send email if you have any questions.