Inside Council Chambers: October 15, 2019
Regular City Council Meeting
Bylaw C-1089-19 – Site Specific Land Use Bylaw Text Amendment – Special Care Facility – Public Hearing
A public hearing was held for Bylaw C-1089-19, a site specific text amendment to the Land Use Bylaw, proposing to change the maximum height for a Special Care Facility, located at 92 Longview Drive, to 14.0 meters or four storeys within the R2 - Mixed Medium to High Density Residential District. Later in the meeting, Council gave second and third reading to the Bylaw.
Public Question and Answer Period
Four members of the public asked questions of Council during Public Question and Answer Period.
Councillor Statements and Updates
Bylaw C-1089-19 - Site Specific Land Use Bylaw Text Amendment – Special Care Facility – Second and Third Readings
Council gave second and third reading to Bylaw C-1089-19, a site specific text amendment to the Land Use Bylaw affecting 92 Longview Drive. The amendment increases the maximum height for the Special Care Facility use from three storeys to four storeys or 14.0 meters.
Administration provided Council with a report on the potential of banning the practice of conversion therapy in Spruce Grove.
Council unanimously responded by instructing Administration to:
- Prepare a letter for the federal and provincial governments in support of actions to criminalize conversation therapy;
- Prepare a corporate policy opposing the practise of conversion therapy that restricts the use of City resources and funding to organizations that practice and promote conversion therapy.
Council also instructed Administration to prepare a bylaw to prohibit the practise of conversion therapy. This motion was not unanimous, with six members of council voting in favour and one opposed.
Council approved the revised 2017-2021 Deputy Mayor appointment schedule.
Council approved the cancellation of the Committee of the Whole meeting for October 21, 2019.
Council received the following board and committee meeting minutes as information:
- TLC Board Meeting – June 13, 2019
- Library Board Meeting – June 18, 2019
- Meridian Foundation Board Meeting – August 29, 2019
- CRPWSC Board Meeting – September 11, 2019
- Meridian Foundation Board Meeting – September 16, 2019
Business arising from Closed Session
Council accepted the recommendation of the Review Panel on the presentation of the 2019 winner of the Community Spirit Award.