City Council Meeting - Oct. 22, 2018
- Council approved meeting dates for the year 2018-2019.
- Council approved board appointments for the year 2018-2019.
Regular Council Meeting
Swearing in Ceremony
Councillor Searle Turton was sworn in as Deputy Mayor for the term Oct. 23, 2018 to Feb. 25, 2019.
Royal Canadian Legion – Poppy Presentation
City Council and Administration were presented with poppies to signify the commencement of the Royal Canadian Legion’s annual Remembrance Day poppy campaign.
Oct. 9, 2018, Regular Council Meeting Minutes and Oct. 15, 2018, Committee of the Whole Meeting Minutes
Council approved the Oct. 9, 2018, Regular Council meeting minutes and the Oct. 15, 2018, Committee of the Whole meeting minutes.
The Parkland Twins Mosquito AA White was recognized by Council with Certificates of Outstanding Achievement for their gold medal win at the Baseball Alberta Mosquito AA Provincial tournament in Sherwood Park, Alta., on July 29, 2018.
The Parkland Twins PeeWee AAA was recognized by Council with Certificates of Outstanding Achievement for their gold medal win at the Baseball Alberta PeeWee AAA Provincials in Spruce Grove, Alta., on Aug. 5, 2018.
The Parkland Twins Bantam AAA was recognized by Council with Certificates of Outstanding Achievement for their gold medal win at the Baseball Alberta Bantam AAA Provincials in Okotoks, Alta., on Aug. 5, 2018.
Kathy Sadek, Finance Supervisor with TransAlta Tri Leisure Centre, gave a presentation to Council on the 2019 operational and capital budget. Council received this as information.
- Councillor Erin Stevenson provided an update on the Horizon Stage Theatre Advisory Board.
- Councillor Erin Stevenson updated Council on the City Centre Business Association activities.
- Councillor Erin Stevenson informed Council that the Capital Regional Waste Minimization Advisory Committee has been renamed to the Edmonton Region Waste Advisory Committee.
- Mayor Stuart Houston provided Council with highlights of a recent meeting of the Northern Alberta Mayors and Reeves Caucus.
- Mayor Stuart Houston provided an update on a recent Mid-Sized City Mayors and CAOs Caucus meeting.
City Administration presented to Council a detailed analysis of each of the five proposed service level changes, including impacts, results from public consultation and communication considerations.
Council decided that the City will:
- Maintain weekly curbside garbage collection in spring 2019 with the tendering of the new waste contract; and that the City consider a transition to bi-weekly collection within the life of the contract.
- Maintain monthly winter curbside organics collection in spring 2019 with the tendering of the new waste contract. Administration will consider a transition to bi-weekly winter curbside organics collection within the life of the contract.
- Discontinue the annual curbside collection of Christmas trees after the January 2019 event.
- Maintain the annual free-cycle event.
- Maintain the large item pickup event.
Notice of Motion – Mayor and Councillor Levee
Councillor Chantal McKenzie proposed that administration bring forward a report on the estimated costing and options associated with hosting a Mayor and Council Levee in January 2019.
Council received the following board and committee meeting minutes as information:
- June 14, 2018, TransAlta Tri Leisure Centre Board meeting minutes
- Sept. 13, 2018, TransAlta Tri Leisure Centre Board meeting minutes
Business Arising from Closed Session
Council directed administration to continue negotiations in regards to the Nelson home.