Community events to celebrate International Day of Persons with Disabilities
- Saturday, December 3, 2022
- 11:00 AM
December 3, 2022, is International Day of Persons with Disabilities and the City is teaming up with our neighbours and community partners to host a series of events to celebrate and increase awareness.
The day begins with two drop-in learning sessions at the Spruce Grove and Stony Plain public libraries, followed by an interactive session at Central Park, and a special Inclusion Night at the Spruce Grove Saints hockey game. All events are free and open to the public (tickets to the Spruce Grove Saints game must be purchased separately). Residents are invited to participate in some, or all, of the following activities:
Stony Plain Public Library (5216 50 Street) 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
Spruce Grove Public Library (35 5 Avenue) 2-4 p.m.
- Hear from guest speakers with disabilities.
- Gain insight into living with a disability through experiential learning opportunities.
- Attend a resource fair highlighting local businesses owned by people with disabilities and services available to people with disabilities.
- Take part in an accessible yoga class.
Central Park (450 King Street) 5-6:30 p.m.
- Learn about adaptive sports opportunities and try out adaptive sports equipment.
- Check out Adaptive Waters' wheelchair accessible boat.
- Get an autograph from an Edmonton Oilers alum and Edmonton Storm sledge hockey player.
- Keep warm with a complimentary hot chocolate.
Agrena – Grant Fuhr Arena (9 Agrena Road) 7-10 p.m.
- Take part in Inclusion Night at the Spruce Grove Saints hockey game
- Watch the ceremonial puck drop
- Ticket purchase required