Community Spirit Awards
This annual award recognizes businesses for their outstanding community spirit in supporting events, programs, or initiatives that benefit the community of Spruce Grove. The beneficiaries of this support may include minor sports, culture, youth, those with special needs, seniors, the economically disadvantaged, education and other worthwhile causes that benefit the community.
For a business to be considered, it must meet the following criteria:
- Be a business operating within the city of Spruce Grove;
- Be a business in good standing and a model of good corporate citizenship; Have a record of involvement and support for events, programs, services or initiatives that benefit the community; Provide support through monetary contributions, in-kind assistance, leadership or volunteer time;
- Must be nominated by an eligible party.
Submissions must be received by the City of Spruce Grove by August 23 of each year.
- 2016: The Black Dirt Company - Darren Hinkel
- 2015: Boston Pizza - Joe & Janet Scalzo
- 2014: Liquor on McLeod - Ted & Judy Saramaga
- 2013: Cargill Value Added Meats - Spruce Grove Operations
- 2012: So Cal Speed Shop - Murray & Danea King
- 2011: Thompson Bros. (Constr.) Ltd. - John Thompson
- 2010: Subway Spruce Grove - Mina Poonja
- 2009: McDonald's Restaurants - Helene & Eric Thys
All nominations will be reviewed and adjudicated by a three-member panel, which will make a recommendation to City Council in September of each year. The panel will include one City of Spruce Grove representative and two members of the public at large.