Utilities Information for Tenants and Landlords

Utility accounts for tenants

Each tenant over the age of 18 and on the lease agreement is required to complete an application form PDF

Tenants are also required to pay a deposit of $200, and provide a copy of their lease agreement to open an account. Deposits remain on file for the life of the account and are used to offset outstanding charges if the account is closed. If the deposit is greater than the closing balance on the account, the remainder of the deposit will be refunded. Any outstanding City of Spruce Grove utility account in the tenant’s name must be paid in full before a new account is opened.

Tenants must also provide a Consent to Release Utilities Account Information form PDF signed by the tenant and the property owner.

Call us at 780-962-7597, e-mail us Email or come to City Hall to set up your account

Outstanding accounts

If an account is outstanding 21 days after the utility bill is mailed, the City will send a reminder letter. The property owner will receive a copy of the letter if the account remains unpaid five business days after the reminder letter was mailed.

The City will only notify the property owner if the tenant has signed the Consent to Release Utility Account Information form above.

The reminder letter contains information on the account balance and is the only mailed notice before a disconnection is scheduled for a service address. A notice will also be left at the service address three days before the scheduled disconnection.

Disconnection for non-payment

When an account is disconnected for non-payment, all outstanding charges, including the $75 disconnection fee, must be paid before service is restored.

Each time a tenant’s account is disconnected for non-payment their deposit increases by $100 to a maximum of $400.

Services for properties where the tenant has been disconnected for non-payment three times will only be connected in the name of the property owner. Only disconnections after January 1, 2010 are considered.

Property owners will be notified by mail when their tenant’s eligibility for an account is in jeopardy.

Requests for information

When a signed consent form is on file with the City of Spruce Grove, property owners may submit a Request for Utility Account Information form PDF about the tenant’s account balance, account activity for the past 90 days, prior disconnections, whether a request to close the account has been received and whether a final utilities bill has been issued.

Tenants can also submit a written request to find out if their property owner has requested information about them.

Only information directly related to the utilities account will be shared with the property owner. We cannot release a tenant’s forwarding address or any other personal information that is protected by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Purchasing a revenue property?

The city of Spruce Grove cannot give you information about the utilities accounts of tenants who are already living in a property that you are purchasing. We can only share information with an owner who has signed a Consent to Release Utilities Information form with their tenant. 

When can the City refuse to provide utility services?

The City may refuse to supply utilities to:

  1. A customer who has an outstanding account. Before a new account can be opened, all previous accounts must be paid in full.
  2. A customer who has been scheduled for disconnection three times after January 1, 2010.
  3. Anyone other than the owner of a service address where three previous tenants have failed to pay the final billing. These charges must have been levied after January 1, 2010, and the property must have been registered to the same owner for the duration of the accounts.

Review the City of Spruce Grove's utilities bylaws