Lot Grading FAQs


What is lot grading and why do I need it?

Lot grading is the shaping of earth to allow surface water runoff to flow away from building foundations and to follow a pre-designed drainage path. Lot grading is necessary to help prevent basement flooding, and take care of the City's storm and sanitary sewer systems.

When is lot grading season?

Lot grading begins mid-April and closes November 1st (weather dependent).

How do I request a lot grading inspection?

Please send us your lot grading certificate by email email_icon

How long does it take for a lot grading inspection?

Your lot will be inspected within ten business days of us receiving the request (weather permitting).

How do I get my lot grading report?

We will email the report to the email address provided on the grading certificate. If for some reason you do not receive the email, we can send it via regular mail.

Is there any way to speed up the inspection?

No. We do our inspections on a first come, first served basis. Requests are put in a queue in the order we receive them. No exceptions.

How do I know when my lot grading inspection is complete?

The lot grading inspector will leave hang a pamphlet on your home's door handle indicating the results of the inspection. A detailed report will be emailed to the email address provided n the certificate. If you are unsure, or have any questions, please email us email_icon



How long do we have to complete the rough grade?

The rough grade must be completed within nine (9) months after the occupancy permit is issued.

Can we go straight to final grade without rough grade approval?

No. We will not accept final grade inspection requests prior to rough grade approval. If rough grade inspection fails, the deficiencies need to be fixed to get rough grade approval before moving on to final grade.

How do we pay re-inspection invoices?

You may pay your bill online through your bank, or in person at City Hall by cash, cheque, debit or credit card.

How do we get the lot grade deposit back?

Once you have received rough grade approval, we send a request to our finance department to mail the deposit to you.



Should I lay my sod before or after my final grade is inspected?

You can have your final grade inspected at the topsoil stage, or after your sod has been laid. The City has no preference and can inspect at either stage.

However, if you choose to install sod prior to your inspection and your final grade fails due to deficiencies, it will likely require more work to correct the grading because you will have to first pull up your sod.

How do request a final grade inspection?

Once the topsoil has been placed and the final grading is completed, you contact a qualified Alberta Land Surveyor to prepare a final grade certificate. Email email_icon the certificate to us and your inspection request gets sent to the inspector. The report will be emailed to the email address provided on the certificate.

What if my final grade fails?

If your final grade inspection fails, you must fix the deficiencies noted in the report, and then request a re-inspection by email email_icon . There is no fee for the first re-inspection, however any further re-inspections will be charged a fee according to the Development Fees and Fines Bylaw pdf_icon

My neighbour's dirt keeps washing onto my property. What can I do?

When problems arise, we encourage all residents to speak to their neighbours and try to be understanding in areas of construction. Topsoil is usually not washed onto adjacent lots intentionally, and installing a temporary barricade can help correct the issue until the lot has been approved and the sod has been laid.

What are the architectural guidelines in my neighbourhood?

Architectural guidelines are set by the developer. For more information please contact your builder or the developer of your neighbourhood.

What if I have a concrete swale in my yard?

Swales provide an important function in the approved drainage plan of a neighbourhood. Although situated on your lot, the concrete swale remains property of the City of Spruce Grove, and in most cases there is a utility right-of-way protecting the swale. The right-of-way grants the City full access if the swale ever needs to be repaired.

Swales must not be covered, blocked, landscaped over, or have their drainage impeded in any way whatsoever. Interfering with the intended drainage of a swale can cause water to pool on your property and those upstream from you.

What is my landscaping responsibility on the boulevard?

The developer in your area is responsible for finishing the boulevard landscaping but it can sometimes take up to two years to complete.

How do I get my landscaping deposit back?

Landscaping deposits are held by the builder or the developer. Please contact your builder or developer for more information. The City of Spruce Grove does not hold that deposit.