Marketing and communication in a non-profit today is made either simple or confusing, due to the high significance of technology. If your organization embraces technology, it may be an easy approach for you. Either way there are numerous websites and resources to visit, to gain some ideas and see how others manage this area.
Included in this area are branding, messaging, technology and social media.
Do you have a 30 second elevator speech for your organization? You are in line at Costco, and someone asks you what you do. Can you tell them in 30 seconds? Identify the following and it becomes easy:
- For whom?
- What need?
- What’s different?
- So what?
Whether we call it marketing, or communications, the primary objectives are pretty much the same: to define and then defend an organization’s position, and move it closer to success in its mission.
- A plan answers the questions:
- How is our program distinctive?
- What do we want to be known for?
- Why is our work relevant?
To begin creating a marketing and communication plan, consider what the goals are. Some examples may be:
- To create an image of a vibrant, interesting, happening, and recognizable organization;
- To create a brand image that is reflective of the organization’s mandate;
- To promote the services and programs that the organization offers; and/or
- To develop a marketing strategy that encompasses traditional and new media tools.
Best Non-Profit Communication Strategies: Queens University
10 Ways your Non-Profit can start - delivering content marketing: Charity Village
Media Relations for Non-Profits - A primer, reading list & advice from the pros: Charity Village
Top 10 website mistakes charities make: Charity Village
Communication for Non-Profits: SaskCulture
Non-Profit Communications Trend Report: Non-profit Marketing Guide
Advice & Tips for Non-Profits on Social Media: Non-profit Marketing Guide
How to Promote your Non-Profit to the World: About Money (Branding)
How to Measure Impact on #GivingTuesday to Apply Next Year & Every Year: Social Media For Non-profits
Top 8 Ways to Leverage LinkedIn for Non-Profits: Social Media For Non-profits
4 Ideas About Social Media for Non-Profits: Tech Soup Canada